Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Kalpana Patowary in her own voice.


ON HOW SHE LEARNS A SONG

I first write the lyrics in hindi, in devnagri - even if the words are in urdu or in any other language.
The music director sings the song to me so I hear the tune and I read the words.
I make notes on my page of the lyrics…..
Then I memorise the tune and sing it…..if you memorise a song,you internalize it.

ON LEARNING THE LESSIONS RIGHT

Composer Amar Haldipuri…taught me when to inhale and exhale.
Another thing my guruji USTAD GULAM MUSTAFA KHAN told me - if I m stressing a particular note - how much to fade in and fade out of the note.
ANAND RAJ ANAND advised me to make sure I sing every word clearly.
And if a word happens to fall on a beat - it must be emphasized a little, in order to lift the song.

No comments: