Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kalpana Patowary - Wealth of a voice.


WEALTH OF A VOICE- KALPANA

She has what it takes to be a top-notch singer in the business and with her latest release of the soundtrack “Uncha Lamba Kad” Kalpana is sure to win the round,hands down.
Her talent is unquestionable……Kalpana is known to have the voice that charms even the tone deaf. She is all that and more. Her singing style very much follows the tradition as the ‘heroine voice’.

Kalpana has been a seasoned singer for jingles. Yet moving on to movies,Kalpana has not arrived.Thankfully the singer is on the right track,recording for the likes of Anand Raj Anand,Monty Sharma,Sameer Tendon to name a few. So what will make Miss Kalpana click? Lets find out………..



YOU HAVEN’T BEEN HEARD AS OFTEN AS WE WOULD LIKE TO…..WHY?

Says Kalpana,the film industry works on one principle:the hit principle.
One big hit and the artist is flooded with offers. So I don’t have that one big hit like a Kajra Re or a Beedi to back me up which has happened with many of my contemporaries like Kunal Ganjawala,Shrea Goshal,Sunidhi Chauhan,Zubeen Garg. Also, I am an established singer in Bhojpuri Industry. But people assume that I am from Bihar and stay in BIHAR. In fact I stay very much in Mumbai. Producers and directors usually debate about the feasibility whether Bhojpuri singer Kalpana can sing Hindi songs when the fact is that I am singing in more than 20 languages. In fact I started my singing career with the English remix song MY HEART IS BEATING from TIMES MUSIC.I sang a lot of English songs for TIMES MUSIC. I have sung one remix song for TIMES MUSIC which has music by DJ KANNA from Hydrabad. He is the winner from Hydrabad in the famous international competition WAR OF THE DJ’s organized by TIMES MUSIC. This song has fusion of western and Bhojpuri folk.Now we will get to listen Bhojpuri folk in disco‘s.I had done jingles for India Today, LIC,Digboi Refinery.My first hindi film before I came to Bhojpuri industry was STUMPED of Ravina Tendon with music by Pritam,Jackie Shroff’s & Ravina Tendon’s Sandhya with music by Anand Raj Anand.


DOESN’T UNCHA LAMBA KAD FROM FILM “WELCOME” QUALIFY AS A HIT?


The song UNCHA LAMBA KAD was a duet with ANAND RAJ ANAND.It did build up a curiosity of “who this new girl Anand Raj Anand has introduced.”The song was a major hit.I was appreciated for the song.It got me some recognition but it didn’t do much in terms of getting me more work.The songs that really got me recognition was HAADSA featuring Rakhi Sawant released from UNIVERSAL MUSIC,PYAR ZINDAGI HAI the Lounge remix BY DJ SUKETU released from TIMES MUSIC ,REMIX song DARIYA KINERE MERA BANGLA HOGA featuring Sweta Salve realesed from CRESCENDO MUSIC.These songs were a hit in the metros of the country.It also got me critical acclaim-not many new singers would get this kind of an opportunity.

DESPITE THE LACK OF THE SUPER-HIT SONG TAG,YOU HAVE STARTED WORKING WITH THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY.HOW IT FEELS…


Fortunately,I have worked with Anand Raj Anand,Pritam,Monty Sharma,Sameer Tendon.I am looking forward to work with A.R.Rahman,Vishal Bharadwaj,Vishal Shekhar and Shankar Ehsaan Loy because I simply love their music.

THERE HAVE BEEN ASSUMPTIONS THAT SINCE KALPANA’S MAKING LOADS OF MONEY RECORDING FOR BHOJPURI FILMS,SHE IS NOT KEEN FOR HINDI FILMS.IS THAT TRUE.


Oh my god! Who said this? Not true! I admit that my PR skills are a little poor.My Bhojpuri film songs are going on.But if given a choice I would much rather record for hindi films because that’s where the creative energy will flow. Bhojpuri songs are a great fun too: I have sung great songs.In fact most of them are like bhojpuri songs.I think my time will come.I have never pushed for work because I believe that music directors have adiscerning ear and they will notice my work and call me.But maybe I need to get in touch with everyone to remind them…..about me(smiles)

ALSO RECORDING FOR BHOJPURI SONGS MUST HAVE BEEN A GREAT TRAINING GROUND FOR YOU?


I guess it did help. Even at the risk of sounding pompous I would say that if you hear any of my albums or film songs, none of them sound amateurish,in terms of my singing. Its because I came from the advertising background where in thirty seconds I had to execute songs like I would need to for a five-minute film song.And I got to sing a range of songs which had moods of lullaby,devotional,romantic,peppy,comedy songs.
In earlier times an unconventional voice was recerved for a gypsi or a vamp.But today,even a heroin sings with a thick voice.Today the heroin is no longer a passive character.Also the music has changed,it is more upfront.So with many things changing,the requirement of a voice has also undergone a change,so now you have Richa Sharma,Sunidhi Chauhan and Jaspinder Narula who are voices that are used as lead singers.I think it is nice to have such a range of voices.



WHAT’S AHEAD FOR THE FUTURE ?

I am doing a reality show for NDTV IMAGIN.
I am pretty excited with my songs in Sunny Deol & Bobby Deol’s film CHAMPU with music by Monty Sharma.I have recorded two songs for the film. These songs might indicate that I am versatile in my singing.Dukh Ke Badal is a folky track. I have sung on a very high scale.Thanks to Montiji direction.Really a great music director.The other song is totally a western number.I have sung a duet song with Kavita Krishnamurti for TAJ MAHAL TOURISM with lyrics of Sudhakar Sharma and music by Amar Haldipuri.I have sung an album for Pakistani singer NOOR JAHAN with music rearranged by Amar Haldipuri. This album is a tribute to the legendary Pakistani singer Noor Jahan.I have recently playbacked classical and western back vocals for an album of International acclaimed musician Trilok Gurtu’s musical concert.I have also recorded an awakening song with all the top singers of the industry. The song is dedicated to the today’s burning issue of Global Warming with music director deo Sandarbh.
My next releases are-
Network18’s-FUN&FRUIT with music by Sangeet & Siddharth(band of boys fame),

Sunny Deols-CHAMPOO with music director Monty Sharma of Saawariya fame,
Akshay Kumar’s-FRIENDS FOR EVER music by Anand Raj Anand, Balaji’s- KCOMPANY with music by Anand Raj Anand &Bappa Lahiri
A youthful number in Salman Khan/Arbaz Khan’s- DO AUR DO PAANCH
Kumar Shanu’s-YEH SUNDAY KYON AATA HAI
RoopKumarRathod’sDHOOMDADAKKA Sameer Tandon’s-KUCHH KHEL KUCHH MASTI YuktaMukhey’sMEMSAHAB Rakhi Sawant’s –WAAFA/ APRIL FOOL/HOT MONEY A duet with Deler Mehndi in EK SE BURE DO
An art film SAANCHA & ANTARDWAND releasing from Yashraj Music
Dabboo Malik’s –BACHELOR.
I have had very good releases in the recent past, so I am hoping for the best. And in retrospect I would say that I am not looking for recording all the songs in the world although I am singing in 20 languages. Might as well get few songs to record but the kind of songs
that I will feel satisfied singing.

No comments: